Effective from 1 January 2021, tax payments by cheques delivered via POST or COURIER (except for Real Property Gains Tax, public entertainer’s income tax, withholding tax and compound) will NOT be accepted by the Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia (IRBM).
Tax payments can be made via the following methods starting from 1 January 2021:
- ByrHasil portal at www.hasil.gov.my
- Internet banking facilities of commercial banks which have been appointed as tax collection agents by IRBM
- Payment counters at IRBM’s Payment Centers
- Over the counter of banks appointed as collection agents
- Cash / cheque deposit machine
- Automated teller machine (ATM)
When making the payment, the taxpayer is required to provide the following information:
- Income tax file reference no.
- Full name and MyKad / passport / registration no.
- Year of assessment
- No. of tax instalment
- Tax payment code
- Payment amount
The copy of the payment slip must be kept as a proof of payment. The IRBM will not issue any official receipt for payments made through bank.
Any posted cheques received by the IRB on 1 January 2021 onwards will be subject to late payment penalty.